Wednesday, 5 October 2016

The Liberal Tune Book 1910

The Liberator Song Book brought out a new edition (again) this year. There are some new songs and one or two from the back catalogue of the 1960's and 70's. One such 'For all the Trots' -a song which one can't but help feel has some contemporary relevance-was included despite the editors failure to track down the tune. I was able to help out, it was set to the tune written by Ralph Vaughan Williams in 1906 for the hymn 'For All the Saints'  which he called Sine Nomine (literally, "without name") in reference to its use on the Feast of All Saints,. In common with all their songbooks the Liberator editors had unearthed some songs from a hundred years or more ago.

This brought to mind that my old colleague Bill Leathwood who had given me a copy of a Liberal Song Sheet from 1910 that had been his father's. You can read about Bill in a posting that I wrote when he died aged 92 in 2011. He had been our Chief Whip when I was on Cheshire County Council







No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.